Home > History
Emaux de Longwy
After the revolution, the convent « des Carmes » was sold in public auction to Nicolas Soldez in March 1798. Soldez sold it, a few months later, to Charles Régnier, a civil servant working in Longwy. He created the faïencerie at the end of 1798.
The quality of the production was well known as early as the First Empire. Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, after a visit of the plant, ordered the tabletop services for the Imperial Houses of the Legion of Honour.
In 1816, Longwy was sold to jean Antoine de Nothomb whose wife was Catherine Boch, daughter of Pierre Boch, owner of the ceramic factories of Audun le Tiche and Sept Fontaines in Luxembourg. De Nothomb dies in 1835 and his daughter Fanny inherits the faïencerie. She will marry Henry Joseph d’Huart and the d’Huart family will run Longwy until 1978.
In 1835, the effervescence of the Second Empire sets the trend of the “japonism”, a taste for all products with an Asian inspiration.
In order to reciprocate to these imports from China and Japan, the d’Huart family brings to Longwy the director of the Mikado’s ceramic factories: Italian born Amédée de Carenza creates the specific technique of cloisonné enamels on ceramic. The famous Emaux de Longwy are born and their reputation will grow from then on.
At the same time, Longwy will keep on producing basic ceramic tableware such as the collections produced between 1870 and 1914. The inspiration themes at the time were mostly flowers and birds. In 1918, the Art Deco trend infiltrates this temple of orientalism.
The association with Paris based department store Printemps Primavera opens up a new era for Longwy. It culminated at the 1925 Arts Decoratifs exhibition in Paris with a complete change of artistic direction. This new trend disappeared progressively in the years preceding World War 2. For more than one hundred twenty five years now, Longwy has been the sole producer of ceramic cloisonné enamels in the world. The last fifteen years have seen a renewal of Longwy, thanks to new designs, more contemporary. Longwy has begun its third century of existence in 1998, and now works together with famous designers such as Hilton Mc Connico, Garouste and Bonetti, Anne Marie Beretta, Régis Dho, Robert le Héros, Casenove, Alain Thomas, Léon Zanella, Jean Boggio… who brought to the faïencerie their own world of creation.